Friday, June 10, 2011

I LOVE LUNCH

I really do love lunch. I was sort of a late bloomer when it comes to gastronomy. I don't know if I said that correctly, but basically its like this. I was a super picky eater until I went on my mission, and for no particular reason I started eating anything and everything. Basically I went from not caring about food and eating because its a requirement to live, to thoroughly enjoying my food and exploring new tastes etc. So basically I love eating now. My favorite lunch since being in France this time around is the simple "menu" that is offered at almost any boulangerie (bakery). A "menu" is a combo-meal, so you get a drink, entrée, and dessert for 5 or 6 euro. Pretty good deal. I am obsessed with baguette sandwiches because they are the best, but sometimes I get a slice of quiche instead to shake it up. This particular lunch was rather delicious, with a ham and emmental sandwich, accompanied by oasis (best juice ever) and a Rose eclair. Yup rose, like the flower. It was so stinking cute with its shimmery pink icing that very strongly resembled nail polish/lip gloss. It tasted pretty fantastic, though I had to keep reminding myself that I was not eating flowery scented lotion. I thought the Frenchies were pretty weird for flavoring things like flowers, but I think I am slowly but surely becoming converted on the idea.


After work, Clay and I met up in the city, and went to institute at the church, but before we did, we stopped by a Lebanese restaurant and picked up some Falafel for dinner. Amazing.

I dub this a pretty successful day gastronomically speaking. Also, two things concerning food: Clay gave up coke for a year (early birthday present to me) and we are going to be vegetarians when we come home. Or at least I am. I guess I can't speak for my other half.

6 comments:

  1. I hardly knew you when you came home from your mission and ate things like eggplant whatevers instead of a good old hamburger. PS I was given two eggplants yesterday. Should I save them until you come home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that you bring up eggplant. Clay just discovered his love for eggplant yesterday when we were eating falafel. He seriously hasn't stopped talking about it since! (right on top there, thats eggplant)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clay gave up coke for a YEAR?! ;) I'm impressed! The food looks delicious! And I've heard great things about flowery flavored foods, but I've never tried any. Now you have me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, a full year. I think that shows how much I love Amy if you know how much I love coke. Also, eggplant is incredible. Absolutely incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on the "coke challenge". I've tried with Dr. Pepper before but never quite made it : ) That rose frosting is incredible...it really does look just like nail polish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you've come around to liking food :) I love food.
    i think eggplant is good when cooked correctly. it can taste nasty though. Good job on quiting coke Clayton (so i'm still unclear on whether you prefer to be called Clay or Clayton?). I don't think jason could give up his mt. dew. I went a couple of years without any sort of carbonation at all. it's not so hard after a couple of weeks. i also sort of ate Vegan for about 6 months Amy. It's kind of refreshing to eat "lighter". eating meat with every meal can seem a little too heavy sometimes, but it limits the types of delicious meals there are to eat... Sounds like you are having a great adventure over there. keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete